Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The will of William Hoskins (1804-1873)


These are the first two pages of the will of William Hoskins (1804-1873).  The original is filed in the Hardin County, Iowa, courthouse.   I sent away for a copy of this will earlier in the year and was so pleased to receive a copy!!  Here is the transcription of the full will:
In the name of God Amen.
I William Hoskins of Hardin County Iowa, being on this 18th day of September AD 1873 of sound and disposing mind and memory and being desirous of making disposition of m earthly effects, to be divided after my decease, and in view of the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death I do therefore make and publish this as my last will and testament.
First – I direct and desire that after my decease all the debts incident to my last sickness and funeral expenses shall first be paid from my estate.
Second – I direct and desire that all my just debts and liabilities existing at the time of my decease shall next be paid and liquidated. 
Third – I give and bequeath to my wife Marcilla Hoskins the one third of my estate or the amount that the laws of Iowa vest in her as my wife. 
Fourth – I give and bequeath to my son George Hoskins the sum of three hundred dollars in money to be paid out of my estate. 
Fifth – I direct and desire that when all the requirements are fulfilled and all the bequests paid as mentioned in the preceding First, Second, Third and Fourth sections herein, that the remainder of my estate shall be equally divided between my children named as follows: John Hoskins, Thomas Hoskins,  Isaac Hoskins, George Hoskins, Robert Hoskins, Sarah Winterbottom, Huldah Burgess and Mary Ann Moore. 
Sixth – As I did on the 6th day of September AD1873 rent my farm in Hardin County Iowa to my son Isaac Hoskins for ten years from that date under certain conditions among which was my support and a home during my natural life, I desire that said lease shall be respected and that no efforts shall be made to set the same aside or (?) the same during the time the same is in force, but that all the bequests in my will shall be second to the provisions of said lease. 
Seventh – I hereby appoint S L Wilson of Hardin County Iowa as my Executor relying on him (?) to carry out all the provision of this will and testament.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand in the presence of John Stotser and Samuel Harrison, witnesses on this September 18th 1873.
                                                            William Hoskins
Witnesses        (John (his mark X) Stotser
                        (Samuel Harrison
State of Iowa
Hardin County
We, John Stotser, and Samuel Harrison do hereby certify that on the 18th day of September AD 1873 We signed the foregoing will of William Hoskins as witnesses in his presence and in the presence of each other , and at his request, said William Hoskins stating to us that this is his last will and testament and that we saw him sign his name thereto.  Witness our hands and seals.
Witnesses        (John (his mark X) Stotser
                        (Samuel Harrison
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment